Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Ballad On Love

I wrote a poem recently, after a very long gap. It has actually turned out really well, even if I do say so myself. Here it is:

I love you, girl
I love you
I love you
I love you
I don't know how to tell you this
But I love you.

I want to take you into my arms and kiss you
Whenever we part I want to tell you how much I miss you
I crave to see your raven hair bathed by the twilight sun's rays
I crave to see that angelic smile flit between your sweet lips.

Because I love you girl
I love you
I love you
I love you
I don't know how to tell you this
But I love you so much, my dear.

When I sleep, I hear angels whispering to me in my dreams
Showering their blessings upon me in a heap
In the midst of this paradise I hear your voice calling out to me, softly, softly
I feel your love for me, surreal though this may be.
To sleep, perchance to dream
O! I could live this dream forever.

You know why, girl
Because I love you
I love you
I love you
I love you, girl
And you better know it.

I cannot show you paradise
I cannot offer you sanctuary
I offer you my heart
See how it throbs for you
I need you, girl
Need you by my side
(Ah! Heaven on earth)
I'll take good care of you
Just say yes, say yes... 'cos

I love you, girl
I need you, with me
By my side, always
'Cos I love you, dearly, devoutly
You're the light of my life
The queen of my soul.

Why must I be a fool in love
Why can't I have affairs like everyone else does
How do I let him know that I love him
Without him spurning me at that moment
Oh God, how did I get myself into this mess
Why must I be a fool in love.

Knights of yore, thy tales be told
Resurrect the dormant romance in my man
I yearn for his smile, his touch, his kiss
I could swoon into his arms like damsels of lore.
Alas, romance is dead, and chivalry-
A thing of the past. In these modern times,
I live, a young girl, a romantic fool
Waiting for my knight in shining armour, who
While jousting other knights in the field
In his heart will carry the torch for me.

Where feminism has set in, and women's lib is the thing
I could just go up to him and tell him I love him
But how unladylike that is, not for this young girl waiting to be romanced
If only he would come to me himself.

My, what a nice ballad I've written
If only I could serenade her with it
Oh God, oh joy, what wouldn't I give
To will myself to steer me to sing
Outside her house, by her window.

Thus felt two hearts
Bonded by love
Separated by inhibition
My heart goes out for them
I wish I could help
But I know I can't
Am no Emma Woodhouse, besides
Affairs of the heart are sacred, personal
And in my heart of hearts, I know
That their love will not go unsaid.

I followed the thing to the end
Saw him read Lord Tennyson
In Memoriam-
"I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."
Taking courage from these words
He donned his coat and left his house
Whither bound I could guess
To his lady's house, The Rose Petals.

My heart leaped and sung with joy
When I beheld him in a stance
Outside her window on the grass.
Drawing a harmonica from his vest
He rendered her song with tune and flair
Oh what a sweet melodious voice had he
That reverberated through the still, silent night.

And she came to the window and watched, stunned
Her knight in shining armour had come.
Is it fate that blesses me thus
Takes my desire from my cusp
To the lands where hearts talk
How great it is, she thinks aloud.

Now it is time for us to leave
Leave the two together alone.
A short courtship followed this
They walked the aisle as man and wife
The story ends as in fairy tales
And they lived happily ever after.

Saying this grandma closed her book
Kissed my forehead and bade goodnight
I closed my eyes and wondered aloud
What else my grandma had in store
I love my grandma, I thought
As my eyes heavy with sleep closed.

Fin.

I like the way I twisted it, using four narrations.

No comments: