Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another day, another poem

I personally don't think my poems are much good, and I'm sure many will think likewise, but I still keep at it, trying to improve. I can't gauge the improvement so its upto you readers to do that. I'm going to post my 11th poem, one which I wrote in the month of March.

A TALE OF FRIENDSHIP

It started out as it always does
With a simple Hi
Face to face, making eye contact
And all the discomfiture at meeting a stranger
Just melted away, being replaced with
I-wanna-get-to-know-you-better.

Some may call it chemistry, I wouldn't know
I always thought that's for love at first sight
This wasn't love, not that kind of love
More of a closeness, purely platonic
And it all happened, just like that
We looked at each other, without blinking.

When we were alone, the words flowed
We shared our tales- our past, present-
And plans for the future.
A future which now included me and her, together
A few skeletons though, were still kept in the closet
For, after all, this was our first time together.

Dusk turned to twilight, and twilight to night
And still we talked, well into the night
Till the early hours of dawn did we talk.
Never, in all these years of life
Have I felt like I did that night
I saw myself, through her eyes, for what I was.

What I saw, delighted me
For I was ashamed of what I'd done in the past
Things that happen due to the interplay of adolescence and hormones.
She took it without batting an eyelid
And revealed to me her deepest, darkest secrets
Now it was her turn to watch my reaction.

Inside, I was deeply moved
Somehow, her troubles seemed greater than mine
Outwardly, I was calm and told her not to worry about it.
I could visibly see her relax, the tension leaving her body
I looked into her eyes, and we signed an unspoken pact
To never ever bring up this topic again.

Ironically, our worst memories sealed our friendship
Everything has a way of redeeming itself
Our friendship continues, to this day
Through hills and ravines, joy and sorrow
Although we may move on in life
Some things will always remain the same.

I am my own worst critic. Even when I really mess up, my friends always say I didn't. Few lines in this are extremely stupid. This one for instance:
"I could visibly see her relax, the tension leaving her body."
I just write what comes to my mind. I would also like to give a disclaimer that I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I wrote that, but I can't. I was thinking of someone in particular, but this poem is very loosely based on reality, its mostly my imagination at work. This one is my second last poem. When compared to the first, I realize how much I've slipped. Oh well.

Quote for the day: It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead, for the chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.- Winston Churchill

No comments: