Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Question

Here's an interesting question: Do I want to win in life, or do I want to be happy?

When I was marching towards victory, I haven't been very happy (satisfied maybe, for having achieved some milestone). But for the past year, I've taken it easy and I've been very happy. And I like this happy life. So, do I want to win?

Let's argue this in another way. You've worked hard these past 3 years, so it's O.K. to take time off to be happy. But there will come a point when I have to take up the mantle again. That time will come when I can no longer revel in my past accomplishments. Till then, I'm doing fine.

I haven't been doing any self-analysis or retrospection for quite some while now. I'm so at peace with myself that I don't want to do it. Heck, I've decided to play without rules. Having fun has become one of my goals. I just want to live in the present and be happy. The future can take care of itself for now.

People tend to envy the ones who win. But, is it really a good thing to win? The ones who do spend so much time and mental energy on it that they don't have any left to appreciate the finer aspects of life. In other words, the high achievers don't live a very balanced life.

Picture this: An independent guy who can do his own cooking, all the menial chores, can maintain his garden, is healthy and sociable with his neighbours, respected as a dedicated worker, a family man with spirituality, religion and altruistic tendencies. Add in a loving wife and kids.

Now, contrast this with a high achiever who puts in 70-80 hour weeks, a brilliant decision maker and efficient manager, successfully running a business in a field with cut-throat competition, is respected for his analytical ability and business skills. Is it uncommon to associate such a person with a small social circle, a not so happy married life, too important to do his own cooking and household chores, not highly concerned with anything that is not materialistic, even a lifestyle disorder. I think not.

Which sort of person would you like to be? It should be noted that there are achievers who have a satisfying personal life. In that case, I guess they weren't stars in school or college but mediocre people. Only then would they have realized the value of leading a balanced life, of having fun without thinking of it as wasted time, or attaching an opportunity cost to it.

That's the sort of person I'd like to be. I know the value of human relationships, money and power. I want to be a person who is better than most in my field, yet not the best. The best guys never have it easy. Eminem is a living example. I want to be a freelancer. That way, I can say no when my heart says no and my wallet accepts.

I shall work hard to achieve this ideal: to be successful, to gain money and power, at the same time leading a rewarding personal life filled with love, family, friends, spirituality and altruism.

This is an excerpt from my diary, written in mid May. I wrote this because I read this question in a book on relationships. And guys, I'm posing this question to you too. Decide whether you want to win, or be happy. Ask of yourself this question whenever you embark on a new venture, and review your priorities often. Be clear on what you want to do, focus on what you want, and may success be with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice n sweet man!

Anonymous said...

The problem being mediocre is, you don't fit in anywhere and some times you end up feeling that everything in your life has been a compromise..
But the best part is you enjoy something out of everything and if you keep things level.. you can actually enjoy pretty much a lot of things..

Gency said...

The problem being mediocre is, you don't fit in anywhere and some times you end up feeling that everything in your life has been a compromise..
But the best part is you enjoy something out of everything and if you keep things level.. you can actually enjoy pretty much a lot of things..
being spontaneous is one thing that a mediocre person should be good at.

Gency said...

The problem with being mediocre is we don't fit in anywhere and sometimes we end up feeling that everything in life is a compromise.
but the best part is we get to enjoy something in everything. If we keep things in balance we can enjoy a lot more in life than most ppl do..
and we should never stop being spontaneous